[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Kitchens" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 To:  <tjmitch1 at yahoo dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Comcast Business Installation.
 Date:  Wed, 10 May 2006 00:09:18 -0400
Tom, I was just emailing with a Comcast tech today about this same thing. I
am considering getting the business setup and I will put his comments below.
I don't have the service yet so I can't be much help but I will likely be
ordering it next week. I would think we can make it work. The numbered lines
were my questions with his answers below them:

1 - Are the 5 IP addresses a true routed subnet?
            Yes they are. You actually get 8 IP addresses that are broken
down as follows:

                        1 - The subnet's network IP

                        5 - For the customer to use

                        1 - For the SMC gateway

                        1 - The subnet's broadcast IP address.

2 - I have a firewall/router here already that talks just fine with your
system now. all I need is a modem. If your "router" can be put in bridge
mode, that will work as well.

      No, the installed modem/router cannot be bridged. A standard cable
modem can be installed in lieu of a gateway. If the service is to include
static IP service, the RIP configuration resides in the installed gateway,
thus requiring a gateway to be installed.

As I wrote this I saw Jim's email come to the list, hopefully he can assist
us if we have problems. I do have the Comcast guys email address, my rep
said he was "a top notch guy that helped develop the program" so getting
some more help from him shouldn't be a problem. He replied promptly to my
two emails today.

Dave