[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Comcast Business Installation.
 Date:  Tue, 9 May 2006 23:59:25 -0500
From: "Tom" <tjmitch1 at yahoo dot com>

> Not really a direct monowall Issue. Just wondering if anyone has had the
> fun or
> dread of installing a Monowall box with Comcast Business Static IP setup
> and a
> SMC 8013WG. Any points whould be helpful. We all know when you call
> Comcast
> Support kinda like rolling the dice on what you get.

I have put these in all over the place, and Comcast is not as bad as Verizon
in some markets. :-(  To start, make sure the order says you will be
installing a commercial grade firewall.  You will need a real external IP.
It can be static or DHCP.  If they push for brand, say Cisco Pix, as it is
the most finicky firewall I know. :-)  The second you are ready, call
support.  First person you get on the phone will be useless.  "I am
installing a commercial grade firewall.  I need someone to help me set the
router in bridge mode"  (Assuming it does not come set up properly.
Occasionally, however, they actually read the sales order!)  You second
level support should be able to walk you through it.  Last, put the SMC on a
battery backup!  Power blackouts are the most likely to reset to default,
and make you curse a lot.

                        Lee