[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PIX vs. Monowall
 Date:  Thu, 11 May 2006 11:11:58 -0500
From: "Brent" <brent at air2data dot com>

> Check out the monowall site. There are some hardware up there he
> recommends.
> I use the wrap boards and have had great luck with them

> http://m0n0.ch/wall/hardware.php

That page needs some revision. :-)

First, 64 meg has some known issues with upgrading firmware.  I would say
128 is minimum now.  I actually use 256 for potential growth.

The 8 mb CF cards can be a problem.  One time a 16mb CF was too small for a
beta.  Get 16mb minimum, and 32mb if you plan on testing betas.

It does not talk about NICs.  Intels and 3com are known to perform better
than most.  VIA embedded cards are still fairly good.  RealTek often has
many problems, especially on slower hardware.

Just my opnion... :-)

                        Lee