[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PIX vs. Monowall
 Date:  Thu, 11 May 2006 14:30:06 -0400
On 5/11/06, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

> First, 64 meg has some known issues with upgrading firmware.

That's not true.  The only time that's been a verified problem is on
one specific version where racoon could leak memory under some
circumstances.  I've never had any issues upgrading with 64 MB on a
number of machines.

Granted, on anything I deploy now, I go with 128 MB to allow for
growth.  It's rarely a good idea to deploy something using the
absolute bare minimum requirements.

> The 8 mb CF cards can be a problem.  One time a 16mb CF was > too small for a
> beta.  Get 16mb minimum, and 32mb if you plan on testing
> betas.

an 8 MB CF will be fine with all release versions to date, but given
that there's virtually no cost difference between 16, 32, and 128 MB,
I always go with 128.  Actually, Netgate, where I pick up all my m0n0
hardware, doesn't even sell anything less than 128 last I ordered.
Jim Thompson at Netgate told me a while back that he really can't get
anything less than 128 in quantity anymore, and when he can they're
the same price as 128's.

-Chris