[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Stray IRQ 7 all of a sudden.
 Date:  Fri, 12 May 2006 11:04:24 -0400
On 5/12/06, Jeroen Visser <monowall at forty dash two dot nl> wrote:

> May 11 14:16:04 172.16.0.100 /kernel: stray irq 7
> May 11 14:24:45 172.16.0.100 /kernel: stray irq 7
> May 11 14:26:44 last message repeated 2 times
> May 11 15:56:58 172.16.0.100 /kernel: stray irq 7
> May 11 15:56:58 172.16.0.100 /kernel: too many stray irq 7's; not logging any more

This is pretty normal on Soekris boards for some reason, especially
when under high load, though it doesn't cause any problems.  Sounds
like you're using the generic PC version though, and having problems,
so that's probably irrelevant.  :)

I'd check the system log as soon as you boot it up (if you can get it
to stay up that long) and see what's using IRQ 7.  My guess is that
you won't see anything there.  IIRC, m0n0wall doesn't include parallel
port support in the kernel, so if your parallel port is enabled in the
BIOS, the system may see chatter on IRQ 7 and since it doesn't have a
device on IRQ 7 since there isn't LPT support, it'll log stray IRQ
messages.

I'm not sure if this is related to your actual problem or not.  I'd
first try disabling any devices in your BIOS that you aren't using
(LPT, serial, any onboard sound, etc.).

It's strange that it appeared after working fine for quite some time,
but I very, very seriously doubt if it's someone attacking you.
That'd more likely end up being a DDoS attack, which could be easily
seen by a flood of firewall logs and a severely clogged Internet
connection.

-Chris