[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Grant Robinson" <jgrantr at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: [m0n0wall-dev] Re: [m0n0wall] Proposal: Management suite for m0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 12 May 2006 12:38:35 -0600
On 5/12/06, Ramunas <m0n0 at liongerimai dot lt> wrote:
> Well, then question could be "Why write webGUI and create products like
> m0n0wall when here is *nix, *nux and *BSD" :)

I guess you could ask that question as well, but that was not the one
I chose to ask. :)

> I myself didn't have much time to learn any of OSes mentioned above. Thats
> why I use m0n0wall instead of FreeBSD.
> But it would be more comfortable for me to manage my m0n0s from a windows
> app rather than using webGUI.

For some people that is better.  I was simply pointing out that this
is a "good idea" to create a way to administer large numbers of m0n0
boxes easily.  But I think making it "Windows" centric is a Bad Thing
(TM).  This type of thing would appeal to network admins, most of whom
are not going to be running Windows, but some form of *nix or *BSD
(FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, OS X, OpenSolaris, etc) and making
it cross-platform (using one of the many toolkits available: GTK, QT,
WxWidgets, Java/Swing, Java/SWT, etc) would give it it's widest
possible audience.

> Change this, thange that, upload, get response
> OK and you're done. The same could be with webGUI, but as you said - there
> are people who prefer command line administration. The same here - there are
> people who prefer windows app's :)
>
> About cross-platform. Didn't study much, but I know there is MONO (not M0N0
> :)) for .NET framework apps to run on *nix based machines. I don't know much
> about it so I can't say much about it. Here it is:
> http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page.

Yes, there is Mono, but it's probably not the best solution in my
opinion.  Mono tries to track .NET but since .NET is made by
Microsoft, Mono will always be at least one step behind.

--
Grant Robinson
jgrantr at gmail dot com