[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: [m0n0wall-dev] Re: [m0n0wall] Proposal: Management suite for m0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 12 May 2006 15:09:55 -0400
Grant Robinson wrote:
> On 5/12/06, Ramunas <m0n0 at liongerimai dot lt> wrote:
>> Well, then question could be "Why write webGUI and create products like
>> m0n0wall when here is *nix, *nux and *BSD" :)
>
> I guess you could ask that question as well, but that was not the one
> I chose to ask. :)
>>
>> I myself didn't have much time to learn any of OSes mentioned above.
>> Thats
>> why I use m0n0wall instead of FreeBSD.
>> But it would be more comfortable for me to manage my m0n0s from a
>> windows
>> app rather than using webGUI.
>
> For some people that is better.  I was simply pointing out that this
> is a "good idea" to create a way to administer large numbers of m0n0
> boxes easily.  But I think making it "Windows" centric is a Bad Thing
> (TM).  This type of thing would appeal to network admins, most of whom
> are not going to be running Windows, but some form of *nix or *BSD
> (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, OS X, OpenSolaris, etc) and making
> it cross-platform (using one of the many toolkits available: GTK, QT,
> WxWidgets, Java/Swing, Java/SWT, etc) would give it it's widest
> possible audience.

That's where I think the whole thing should be built as a client/server
app. Think of nessus - you have the management daemon running, which can
be compiled for any platform - if the daemon is POSIX compliant, it can
even be distributed with the cygwin.dll as a standalone windows server.

 From there, everyone can have their favorite front-end. Many people
probably have a web server with PHP running - bam, have a PHP app that
talks to the mgmt. server. Want a native windows GUI? write one that
talks to the mgmt. server. Command line? same thing.

I think if the initial design keeps the actual management independent
from the interface, the community will develop front-ends for every
platform, especially if the calls to the server are easily
understandable and well documented - hell, I would try to write a little
java front-end to manage m0n0s through my phone if I had the time :)

just a thought

Sven