[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ramunas" <m0n0 at liongerimai dot lt>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: [m0n0wall-dev] Re: [m0n0wall] Proposal: Management suite for m0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 12 May 2006 22:33:05 +0300
That's where I think the whole thing should be built as a client/server app.
Think of nessus - you have the management daemon running, which can be
compiled for any platform - if the daemon is POSIX compliant, it can even be
distributed with the cygwin.dll as a standalone windows server.

 From there, everyone can have their favorite front-end. Many people
probably have a web server with PHP running - bam, have a PHP app that talks
to the mgmt. server. Want a native windows GUI? write one that talks to the
mgmt. server. Command line? same thing.

I think if the initial design keeps the actual management independent from
the interface, the community will develop front-ends for every platform,
especially if the calls to the server are easily understandable and well
documented - hell, I would try to write a little java front-end to manage
m0n0s through my phone if I had the time :)

just a thought

Sven

Couldn't remember a link but I saw Manuel saying something about extentions.
Having one on m0n0 with a name like "MMI (m0n0wall management interface)"
whitch would operate according to some documented protocol (like RealVNC's)
could untie hands for coders of any type/platform. The only thing to take
care is extention and protocol.

Just another thought :)
Ramunas