[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Graham Freeman <graham dot freeman at cernio dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: [m0n0wall-dev] Re: [m0n0wall] Proposal: Management suite for m0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 12 May 2006 13:02:38 -0700
On 12 May 2006, at 10:32 AM, Grant Robinson wrote:

> The real question is "Why write a Windows app for a FreeBSD based
> firewall?"  I am not opposed to a gui, but it should be
> cross-platform.  Also, the underlying tools should be built as a
> library so that a console/text-based version could be built for people
> who prefer command-line administration.
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> --
> Grant Robinson
> jgrantr at gmail dot com

I agree.  The firewall doesn't case what OS the clients use; why
should the management tools be OS-specific?   I use MacOS X, various
tech colleagues use Linux/*BSD/Solaris, and my non-tech clients
generally use Windows.  m0n0wall's major advantages, in my opinion,
are that it's open-source, vendor-agnostic, capable, and has a GUI
that I can use even when I'm sleep-deprived and can guide a non-tech
through over the phone.   In my environment, a Windows app would only
be usable by the non-technical folks.   I'd advocate for a web GUI as
the primary tool with an easy way to use the CLI for those who desire
to do so.

Perhaps the simplest way to do this would be to deploy a SVN server
as the management master and allow each m0n0 end-point to act as a
SVN client.   I dunno how bloated the SVN client binaries/libraries
are - maybe this would increase the base image size unreasonably.

I certainly don't mean to discourage anyone from lending a hand with
m0n0wall development, or any open-source development effort for that
matter.  But I do think that it should be done correctly.  I'll be
happy to donate money to a project whose results are useful to me -
I've donated a total of $50 to m0n0wall so far, and plan to continue
to donate as time passes and I deploy more m0n0wall installations.

Graham Freeman
Cernio Technology Cooperative
www.cernio.com/cooperative/
graham dot freeman at cernio dot com