[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Louis Desjardins <louis at ldhl dot ca>
 To:  'Brian McEntire' <brian dot mcentire at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Monowall comparison to Smoothwall Express?
 Date:  Sat, 13 May 2006 09:27:12 -0400
Brian;

I made the switch from Smoothwall about a year ago. Never looked back.

I implemented the transparent proxy feature (Squid) separately on an older
Duron 850 computer. In fact, I actually improved our home network security
by implementing the separate proxy, together with content filtering. I use
Clarkconnect for that purpose.

I implemented only Squid and DansGuardian out of the whole ClarkConnect
solution. (it was easier to do it with ClarkConnect than from scratch)

Our current setup is that only the proxy computer is allowed outside
connections through M0n0wall. The logs provided by Squid tell me exactly
what connections are made and DansGuardian lets me block objectionable web
sites or domains. I had to tweak some applications to use internet
connexions through the proxy. In some cases that was not obvious, for
example with Webroot's Spy Sweeper, my favourite antispyware.

You may also be interested in pfSense, a product derived from M0n0wall that
includes additional features and packages (it is still in beta testing).
However, if you want a small, high performance and reliable firewall, then
look no further. M0n0wall is just that.

LD