[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "jan gestre" <m0n0wall dot list at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Brian McEntire" <brian dot mcentire at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall comparison to Smoothwall Express?
 Date:  Sun, 14 May 2006 06:54:03 +0800
On 5/13/06, Brian McEntire <brian dot mcentire at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I'm very impressed with Monowall and will probably replace my home f/w
> (Smoothwall Express) with it. I am using the DHCP server on Smoothwall and
> see Monowall has that functionality listed as one of it's features.
>
> Has anyone made this switch? Are there any features you used in Smoothwall
> that you had to implement somewhere else on your network b/c they weren't
> part of Monowall? I'm just looking out for gotchas that might not be
> obvious
> at first glance.
>
> I'm an IPCop user before, it's a fork of Smoothwall, the reason I switched
is because after just 3 months of use, my IPCop box suddenly did not
function anymore, no packets coming in, I thought it was just a case of lan
card malfunction, so I have no recourse but to try out some other firewall,
I'm glad I found monowall, I've installed it on the same box and, whoa, it
works. I have some difficulty configuring NAT on my DMZ at first, coz I'm
new to FreeBSD but with the help of the guys here, I was able to make it
work.