[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Grant Robinson" <jgrantr at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <Hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: [m0n0wall-dev] Re: [m0n0wall] Proposal: Management suite for m0n0wall
 Date:  Sun, 14 May 2006 21:27:27 -0600
On 5/14/06, Quark IT - Hilton Travis <Hilton at quarkit dot com dot au> wrote:
> Hi Grant,

Perhaps we have different samples, but most of the small businesses I
associate with don't have any Windows boxes, or very few.

>That means that the vast majority of people deploying
> m0n0wall deploy it into a Windows-based network and run a Windows-based
> PC themselves.  Therefore a Windows-based app would make sense to the
> vast majority of m0n0wall administrators.

A management tool like this would be more aimed at those who have
multiple m0n0 boxes, not those who have one, and most of those people
would probably be running something other than Windows for their
primary OS.  I do, and most other network admins that I know don't run
Windows, but like I said, maybe we have a different sampling set then
you do.

> Personally, I think a Windows-based app would be a good idea, but I feel
> that a server app that can be installed on any Linux/BSD box that's
> permanently connected to the Internet would be the ultimate option -
> allowing for upload/download of configs and centralized log monitoring.

Again, why make it Windows based when it can be cross-platform (either
as a client GUI app or a web app).  One that did centralized logging
would be very nice.

> Failing that, needing **yet another** dedicated box to run m0n0admin
> would limit the deployment of the admin server, I'd think.  I'm getting
> over dedicated boxes for simple things like server admin - too many
> damned boxes making too much damned noise and using too much damned
> power and getting SERIOUSLY under utilized isn't a good use of
> technology if you ask me.

I don't propose needed a dedicated box to run anything like this.
That wouldn't make any sense.  If it was a web-app, it should be
installable on any machine with the right stack and should be able to
run right alongside anything else you have running, and if it is a
client GUI app, the same should be true.

Again, I just think that making it a "Windows-only" app is very short
sighted in the world in which we live.

--
Grant Robinson
jgrantr at gmail dot com