[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: [m0n0wall-dev] Re: [m0n0wall] Proposal: Management suite for m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 15 May 2006 22:56:28 -0500
From: "Grant Robinson" <jgrantr at gmail dot com>
> On 5/14/06, Quark IT - Hilton Travis <Hilton at quarkit dot com dot au> wrote:
> > > From: Grant Robinson [mailto:jgrantr at gmail dot com]

> > > The real question is "Why write a Windows app for a FreeBSD
> > > based firewall?"  I am not opposed to a gui, but it should
> > > be cross-platform.  Also, the underlying tools should be
> > > built as a library so that a console/text-based version
> > > could be built for people who prefer command-line
> > > administration.

> > Why?  Simply because the vast majority of small businesses run a
> > Windows-based OS on the desktops of the vast majority of their users
> > machines.

> Perhaps we have different samples, but most of the small businesses I
> associate with don't have any Windows boxes, or very few.

I can not name a single company I work with that does not use Windows for
desktops.  And few use anything but Windows for servers.  The most common
*nix device I see is the WRT54g.

> >That means that the vast majority of people deploying
> > m0n0wall deploy it into a Windows-based network and run a Windows-based
> > PC themselves.  Therefore a Windows-based app would make sense to the
> > vast majority of m0n0wall administrators.

> A management tool like this would be more aimed at those who have
> multiple m0n0 boxes, not those who have one, and most of those people
> would probably be running something other than Windows for their
> primary OS.  I do, and most other network admins that I know don't run
> Windows, but like I said, maybe we have a different sampling set then
> you do.

I used to work fro BMC software, and they are Windows based for network
management.  Unfortunately, most of the states is Windows based.  I have
several boxes, and my primary systems are all Windows.  I have a few Linux
boxes, and a FreeBSD VM.  That's it.

> > Personally, I think a Windows-based app would be a good idea, but I feel
> > that a server app that can be installed on any Linux/BSD box that's
> > permanently connected to the Internet would be the ultimate option -
> > allowing for upload/download of configs and centralized log monitoring.

> Again, why make it Windows based when it can be cross-platform (either
> as a client GUI app or a web app).  One that did centralized logging
> would be very nice.

Here, however, I agree.  If done right, there is no reason to exclude
anyone.  That is why everything I contribute will be portable.  You may have
to port it, but it will be portable! :-)

                        Lee