[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ernie Zingleman" <ks4q at zingleman dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Soekris Net4801 Problem
 Date:  Wed, 17 May 2006 23:12:54 -0400
I'm currently running m0n0 on a minimal PC platform.  It has been a great performer for the past 18
plus months.  I figured I could save some electrical power by going to the Net4801 Platform.

Toward this end, I bought a used but supposedly working Net4801 off of Ebay last week.  Last night I
tried to get it up and running but ran into problems.

Here is a description....

Net 480 unit will boot but won't assign an IP address to a PC which is requesting an IP address.  I
even put the PC on the same IP subnet as the default 192.168.1.1 and could not pull up the GUI
log-in screen in m0n0.

Sometimes when the unit is booting, if a network cable is plugged into it, it will keep the unit
from fully booting.

I saw a note made on the www.soekris.com web page referring to a problem with the ethernet
controller driver for the Net4801 saying that it sometimes would not communicate with a host over a
less than 100 foot cable.  Please see this page for information:
http://www.soekris.com/Issue0002.htm

"A small number of the DP83815 ethernet controller chips will, when using short cables lengths
(<30m/100ft) in 100Base-TX mode, have excessive receive errors, or if the cable is very short, not
receive at all. "

Does anyone know if this driver fix is incorporated into the Net4801 m0n0 v1.22 image?

Thanks, Ernie