[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jpcompserv dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: MAC address problems?
 Date:  Thu, 18 May 2006 11:50:10 +0100
Molle Bestefich wrote:
> Tom Anderson wrote:
>
> I mean, when this box dies on me one day, I'll have to find a
> replacement fast to keep the downtime on web sites etc. low.  I might
> choose a box which is not exactly an IP110.  There should be as little
> fiddling as possible, so I can get everything in the air as quickly as
> possible.

If low-downtime is your goal, wouldn't you be better finding a better
platform for m0n0wall now, rather than under the pressure of your IP110
failing. The Soekris/WRAP platforms are stable, inexpensive and readily
available.

Re-using an old Nokia IP110 is a nice academic/hobbyist exercise but I
wouldn't do it if high availability, straight forward upgrades and
equipment replacement were a priority.

Best regards
David Cook