[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: MAC address problems?
 Date:  Thu, 18 May 2006 09:58:39 -0500
From: "Molle Bestefich" <molle dot bestefich at gmail dot com>
> Chris Buechler wrote:
> > Uh, that's not the solution.  Read that article more closely.
> > pfsense, and FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x, won't boot on IP110's.

> Damn, you're right, I wasn't paying attention.

> Using pfSense, the kernel dies with a page fault when it's
> initializing the PCI bus.

> Too bad, things would have been much simpler with console over serial
> that pfSense has.

> I mean, when this box dies on me one day, I'll have to find a
> replacement fast to keep the downtime on web sites etc. low.  I might
> choose a box which is not exactly an IP110.  There should be as little
> fiddling as possible, so I can get everything in the air as quickly as
> possible.

> The automatic interface detection and "1 xml config file" principle is
> great, but it's outplayed if I have to shift the IDE disk back and
> forth between two boxes:
>  * first add an image (box 1), then
>  * autodetect the interfaces (box 2), then
>  * add spoofmac entries in config.xml using some OS that can
> read/write UFS (box 1)
>  * merge in non-interface parts of old config.xml (box 1)
>  * finally boot new system (box 2).

> There's a high risk that I'm going to forget half of this :-/.

> Oh well, enough moaning :-).

Several solutions here.  One, copy your CF card.  Two, copy your config, and
write it to another CF card with m0n0wall.  Three, make a custom image with
your config as default. Four, get new hardware cheap. I have posted many
links to new inexpensive m0n0wall capable systems, and some are even small.

However, as another poster said, all of these are only easy if you do them
now, not when it fails.

                            Lee