[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Molle Bestefich" <molle dot bestefich at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: MAC address problems?
 Date:  Thu, 18 May 2006 18:25:48 +0200
David Cook wrote:
> If low-downtime is your goal, wouldn't you be better finding a better
> platform for m0n0wall now, rather than under the pressure of your IP110
> failing. The Soekris/WRAP platforms are stable, inexpensive and readily
> available.

Maybe? :-)
I have a somewhat ready source of IP1xx boxes though,
but otherwise I think you're right.

> Re-using an old Nokia IP110 is a nice academic/hobbyist exercise but I
> wouldn't do it if high availability, straight forward upgrades and
> equipment replacement were a priority.

Ok.  It'll have to do for now, I need a new box, well, now :-)

Lee Sharp wrote:
> Several solutions here.  One, copy your CF card.  Two, copy your config, and
> write it to another CF card with m0n0wall.  Three, make a custom image with
> your config as default.

Wouldn't work if the interfaces on whatever new hardware I get do not
match the old ones.  Then I'm back to doing what I described.

It would be much nicer with a solution like <insert whatever solution
you like to make software-MAC ethernet adapters work correctly> as an
integral part of m0n0wall.

I wrote:
> I think I'll try to restore the IPSO software and see what MAC
> addresses it assigned to the interfaces and grab those.

Well, that was easy.

======= [Power On] =======
1   Bootmgr
2   IPSO

Default: 1

Starting bootmgr
Boot manager loaded.
Entering autoboot mode.
Type any character to enter command mode.
/dev/wd0f on /mnt: Incorrect super block.
Error: /image on /dev/wd0f
        does not exist or is not a file
boot failed

BOOTMGR[1]> sysinfo
CPU 0: 266 MHz Pentium
Memory: 67108864 (64M bytes)
Disk Devices:
        IO port 0x1f0 wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DJSA-205>
                5000MB (9767520 sectors), 608 cyls, 255 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
Network Interfaces:
eth-s1p1:  flags=130<BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PRESENT>
        ether 0:a0:8e:10:00:88 speed 10M full duplex
eth-s2p1:  flags=130<BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PRESENT>
        ether 0:a0:8e:10:00:89 speed 10M full duplex
eth-s3p1:  flags=130<BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PRESENT>
        ether 0:a0:8e:10:00:8a speed 10M full duplex
loop0:  flags=10b<UP,LINK,LOOPBACK,PRESENT>
soverf0:  flags=2923<UP,LINK,MULTICAST,PRESENT,IPV6ONLY>
stof0:  flags=2903<UP,LINK,PRESENT,IPV6ONLY>
tun0:  flags=107<UP,LINK,POINTOPOINT,PRESENT>
===========================

Whee.

I'm now going to try getting the IPSO bootloader to boot m0n0wall, on
the assumption that the IPSO bootloader sets the MAC addresses to
something correct.

The reason it says "incorrect superblock on /dev/wd0f" is that I tried
overwriting the IPSO slice with generic-pc-1.22.img.

So I guess that m0n0wall is not on the 6th (="f") partition of it's slice.

Does anyone know what partition it resides on (a?), and where the boot
file is located in the filesystem, and whether the filesystem is
4.2BSD compatible?

Mounting the generic-pc-1.22.img under Linux gives me nothing:
# mv generic-pc-1.22.img generic-pc-1.22.img.gz
# gunzip generic-pc-1.22.img.gz
# losetup /dev/loop/0 generic-pc-1.22.img
# mount /dev/loop/0 /mnt/misc
# ls -l /mnt/misc
total 0

... I don't get it..  Anyone? :-)