[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Flugstad <chris at cascadelink dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Band Filter CAP PORTAL
 Date:  Thu, 18 May 2006 15:29:12 -0700
I am using the captive portal at a coffee shop to bring up a splash page
and basically give the coffee shop props for supplying free wifi as well
as people acros the street using unlimited wifi for p2p.  One problem we
are having is that people arent smart enough to realize they need to go
through a browswer/cap portal to gain access to the internet.  So people
are assuming that the internet isnt working when they cannot access
their pop3 email through their email account, or why itunes isnt
working.  so, my question, is can we just allow certain things through
without cap portal,  since this is a free service im not worried about
people sneaking around.  Also I could just throttle ssh/pop3/and these
other services so if someone were to not utilize the cap portal page,
their speeds would be much less.  So if someone to raise their hands in
vicotry becuase he or she is sending all their traffic through mail
ports, then they'd be successful at a 56kbit connection ;)

anythoughts?

Chris