[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] more dumb questions: renaming interfaces
 Date:  Fri, 19 May 2006 10:30:18 -0500
From: "Molle Bestefich" <molle dot bestefich at gmail dot com>
Lee Sharp wrote:

> > There are no dumb questions.  Just dumb users. :-)

> Uhm. Thanks? :-)

I of course ment YOUR users. ;-)

> > > I'd like to rename the interfaces on it.

> > > They're named WAN, LAN and OPT1.
> > > I'd like them to be named BORDER, ILO and VLANS, just to make it a lot
> > > easier for myself to figure out what's going on.

> > Not for WAN and LAN.  Those two are unchangeable.  And if you look at
> > the
> > code, your "VLANS" is still "OPT1" but translated in the GUI only.

> :-/.
> Ok, sucks, but thanks.

> I guess that since one interface's name is fixed to "WAN" that
> m0n0wall doesn't support multiple ISPs (load balancing / HA,
> source-based routing) :-)..

That is correct.  Some people have done some things with static routes and I
have looked at using metrics, but nothing good yet.  However,
http://www.pfsense.com/ is a code fork of m0n0.  It was a friendly divorce,
and we both share custody of the kids...  It is kind of a beefier m0n0.
However, it is geared towards bigger hardware, and actual hard drives.

                            Lee