[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jonathan Romero" <jonnyro at jonnyro dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Optimal placement for wireless AP on network
 Date:  Tue, 23 May 2006 16:46:53 -0400
I have a network made up of three dell power connect switches, a m0n0wall
router and a linksys WAP54GX.

Power connect switches 1 and 2 are connected to the m0n0wall lan port
Power connect switch 3 is the DMZ net, which hosts things like mail servers

This is a 3 interface m0n0wall, so the interfaces are done like this
1. WAN
2. LAN - hooked into power connect switches
3. DMZ - hooked into  it's own power connect switch

So to get the lan  tied into wireless, i plugged the WAP54GX into the LAN
through one of the power connect switch ports.  I also tried this with an
apple airport express.

Both the apple airport express and the wap54gx have been VERY unstable.
They crash about once every 18 hours and wont work again unless you power
cycle.

If I were to get a m0n0wall unit with more interfaces, hook the wap54gx to
one of those and bridge with the lan would that be better than what's going
on now?  Or would I be better putting the wireless on it's own network
segment.

--
Jonathan S. Romero