[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Optimal placement for wireless AP on network
 Date:  Tue, 23 May 2006 18:23:22 -0400
On 5/23/06, A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk <A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Both the apple airport express and the wap54gx have been VERY unstable.
> > They crash about once every 18 hours and wont work again unless you power
> > cycle.
>
> ideally such WLAN activity would be off your main networks and on its own network...use VLAN or
another port on m0n0 to do such things...however, APs crashing isnt a good thing - I would check the
latest firmware releases for both those devices... Apples kit has had recent fixes as has linksys.

Ditto that.  I'd use a separate port off of m0n0wall, and a dedicated
IP subnet for wireless.

In addition to firmware upgrades, I'd make sure you have good power
going to the units.  Try running them off a UPS to see if that makes
any difference, if the firmware doesn't help.

-Chris