[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Configuracion wireless en monowall
 Date:  Tue, 23 May 2006 17:25:27 -0500
Rolf Kutz wrote:
> * Quoting Alex Neuman van der Hans (alex at nkpanama dot com):
>

>> I've set up a few. Definitely your best shot would be to use m0n0 for
>> your firewall/routing needs, along with a bit of traffic shaping. I'd
>> block outgoing port 25 to prevent abuse (and let your clients know that
>>

> This helps preventing abuse like castration
> prevents rape. How shall people contact their
> providers smtpd if 25 is blocked?

Two ways. One would be to set up an internal mailserver running
MailScanner (http://mailscanner.info) that works as an internal relay
and set up a forwarding rule just like some people do for squid caching.

The other would be to have a notice in the captive portal page that says
that you should use your company's (or your ISP's) webmail instead, or
services like mail2web.com, or use SSL (smtps), or port 587, or a VPN.
It *would* require having knowledgeable staff, which in some hotels
isn't the case.

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. I've set up several
hotels/resorts/golf clubs like this, and I've been to quite a few here
and all over the world that do the same thing.