[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  <EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall feature request
 Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:30:33 -0500
At 07:06 AM 1/23/2004, EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com wrote:
> > There are a few things I'd like to see on m0n0wall - as Dick
> > has already
> > mentioned, a shutdown and reboot button would be nice.
>
>reboot is already there (diagnostics, Reboot system)
>i agree shutdown would also be nice
>

> > As would the ability to log out of the console and have it wait for a
> > login - it doesn't appear secure when it is constantly
> > sitting there on a logged in account.
> >

>if someone has physical access to your Firewall console you are pretty
>much screwed right there.
>a simple console login is *SO* easy to defeat that it just not funny (if
>you have physical access)
>Personally i think that the fact you ONLY have the m0n0 menu on the
>console, no tty, no shell etc makes it MORE secure
>
> > Also, some way that the user could be notified of available updates
> > would be nice.
> > This way they would know if security or functionality
> > updates are available as and when they are released.  Currently, the
> > users need to be subscribed to the Accounce mailing list, or happen
> > across an update on their occasional visit to the website.
>
>and the problem with the Announce mailing list is?
>
><RANT>
>For my money, if someone is using Open Source stuff then they should be
>prepared to follow what is happening within the community (and give back
>to it, like the good beginners guide that Michael A. Alderete has written,
>and made available)
>
>If you want the software maintainer to announce patches, upgrades etc,
>then pay them for it and they should be only too happy to send you mail
>alerts, phone you whatever you want.
>In the firewall market there exists people like Cisco (PIX), Checkpoint
>(FW1) etc, who would be MORE than happy to tell you all about their fine
>upgrades etc, once you have been separated from your cash
></RANT>
>
>I guess if you give Manuel enough money, he will email/phone you
>individually whenever a patch/upgrade comes out :)

Hey, I've been looking for a way to earn some extra cash!  That's got to be
it.  I'll just sign up for the announce lists on all the projects and send
out notices to folks who don't want to bother.  <g>

Granted I understand the more automated approach too.  For example, IPCop
"phones home" and checks it home site to see if there are any new
patches.  I have no real problem with it, but some folks really don't like
the fact that it phones home.  There used to be services out there that
would add a watch to any page you wanted and send you an email if it
changed.  That'd probably take care of the problem too.  Just watch the d/l
page.

Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick any two