[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bart Smit <bit at pipe dot nl>
 To:  Charles Toepoel <monowall at toepoel dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] the net4501 from soekris ?
 Date:  Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:42:48 +0100
Charles Toepoel wrote:

> For a few months I'm using the m0n0wall cd version.
> Currently I'm thinking of buying the soekris NET4501 board.
>
> I want to know some experiences with this hardware.

Stick a 4501 with m0n0wall behind your couch and forget about it. It'll
run. Period.

I have a net4501 with m0n0wall in a SOHO setting with a bunch of servers
and some 10 workstations, all three interfaces used. I have also used a
D-link DWL-520 (Rev.A; can't buy them anymore) WLAN card. I'm nothing
but pleased.  m0n0wall is particularly well-suited for the net45xx,
although later versions don't have hardware watchdog support anymore.
They are a fine match. In fact, m0n0wall has been the reason for me to
buy several Soekris boards.

The CPU is not very powerful of course, yet the net4501 board is
generally well up to simple firewall applications. For Serious Traffic
and Crypto you may want to go for a 4801 with cryptocard.

PCI WLAN cards for the 4501 are almost impossible to get. You can get
miniPCI cards, but if you need wireless (or want to keep the option
open) I would not recommend the 4501 anymore. Go for the 4511 or 4521 as
they are much easier to fit with WLAN interfaces.

As, in my setup, the Soekris needs to be protected from powerfails, I
run the Soekris board off a lead-acid-gel battery behind a charger
circuit. Much better than plugging its power-supply into a UPS-protected
circuit.

TIP: if you have photographer friends, ask around for 8MB CF cards. Some
digital camera's used to ship with them, but they are usually
immediately replaced with larger cards and end up in a drawer as nobody
loves these 8MB cards.

--B