[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would make m0n0wall even better ;)
 Date:  Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:14:12 +1000
Hi Jorgen,

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 04:24, Jorgen Norrman wrote:
> Hello m0n0wall users/developers
>
> Here's another guy just asking for improvements, but this time he's from
> Sweden!  :)
> Anyhow here's my requests/tips/wantings ...
>
> [System: General setup]
> It would be nice if m0n0wall could act as ntp server for the
> lan/pptp/ipsec clients.

Nope, it wouldn't.  Adding extra functionality to a firewall is like
asking that your toaster also boil the kettle.  It is just not designed
for that.

Adding NTP will then have people asking for ident, then eventually
Samba.  Believe me, I've seen this happen before.  :)

A fireweall is a firewall is a firewall, and it isn't a file server,
print server, time server (nor, even, to my way of thinking, a DHCP
server - however many small networks find this appropriate).

> [Firewall: Rules]
> A must have is the ability to make port lists or groups containing ports.
> Another great feature would be groups containing ip-adresses.

I believe Manuel is waiting for core OS code to be updated before he can
achieve this neatly.

> [Services: DHCP]
> Nodetype för Windows machines. (Ex. 0x8 for making the machine use wins
> before braodcast)
> DNS server entryn for those who has DNS servers on LAN for the clients
> and want m0n0wall to use ISP's DNS servers.

That would be nice in the webGUI, but I'd think that in the mean time
you could likely do it manually.

> [VPN: IPsec: Tunnels]
> enable/disable different tunnels

Yes, this is a very nice feature that should be considered for
implementation in the near future.

Along with this goes x.509 Certificate generation which I think is being
implemented as we speak.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/