[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  lonek at blenders dot pl
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall and PPPoA, USB modem
 Date:  Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:14:06 +0100
On 25.01.2004, at 00:03, lonek at blenders dot pl wrote:

> I have an internet provider, that supplied me with ADSL modem which is
> connected to the PC via the USB port (SAGEM F@ST 800 USB). What more,
> this modem uses PPPoA. Will m0n0wall be able to operate on such
> hardware/connection type..? I can't check it myself right now, so
> that's why I post this message.

Nope, USB ADSL modems are not supported. There are FreeBSD drivers for
a few USB ADSL modems available, but I'm no big fan of those modems
because they need (proprietary) microcode downloads and that kind of
stuff. Try getting an Ethernet ADSL modem instead (also called bridge),
they're easier to handle and IMHO much more reliable too.

BTW, PPPoA means you'll have to use PPTP on your m0n0wall's WAN
interface.

Good luck,

Manuel