[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jpcompserv dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Soekris 4501 crashing
 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2006 12:36:35 +0100
Chris Bagnall wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I've had a net4501 running m0n0 for the last couple of months, during which
> time it's been fine until recently. Over the last week or two, I've noticed
> it has a tendency to die every 2-3 days, usually late at night when traffic
> is at its lowest. When the box crashes it does not respond to pings on any
> interface. The soekris box is warm to the touch, but never hot.
>
> Is there any way to diagnose problems like this? I've tried syslogging to
> one of my linux boxes, but there aren't any entries just before it dies that
> would indicate a problem. The only network traffic overnight should be my
> machine checking mail every few minutes. I've checked all the Windows boxes
> to make sure none of them are creating thousands of connections trying to
> replicate a virus.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Chris,

When you say 'warm to the touch' how warm? All the Soekris firewalls we
have are bairly detectably warm to the touch i.e. just about room
temperature. Maybe something is overheating, you could try running it
with the case lid off for a few days and see if that makes any difference.

This is the time of year when our smaller customers with small wiring
cabinets in equally small rooms/cupboards can have heat related
problems. Though one of our customers usually has heat related problems
in the Winter as their wiring cabinet is in the boiler cupboard !?

Best regards.
David Cook