[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Roberto Greiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Root beeing filled up by dhcp
 Date:  Fri, 26 May 2006 11:31:27 -0300
We are having a problem with DHCP filling up the m0n0wall filesystem.
Under some circunstance (don't know exactly which one), DHCPd starts
generating a large amount of files named dhcpd.leases{long number} in
/var/db. Each of those files is small, but they quickly fill up the
small space of the root system.

We have tried tinkering a little with the default leases times, but
going down to 24 hours didn't solve. As of now, we have it at 2 hours
(the default value), and the system seems stable (but we did this change
only 48 hours ago).

The main function of the machine as of now is to serve as our
gateway/DHCP/autentication server for our campus 802.11 structure.Our
machine is serving an average number of 200 to 300 users, Captive portal
enabled with the users database in a Radius server, DHCP, no PPTP nor
IPSec. The server is installed in an HD, and the version of m0n0wall is
updated to the current one. The machine gets an average CPU load of
5-15%, with 11% of used memory, and the WAN interface gets an average
INPUT and OUTPUT load of 5Mbps each , with peaks reaching 10Mbps.

Every time the server started generating those files, no message
appeared in the logs, only later when root was filled up, the logs
started showing messages about root being filled. So far, we have
managed to "fix" it by restarting DHCPd and then deleting the extraneous
files with rm command through the "exec.php" page. But a couple of days
later it happens again.

Now we are worried that our users will probably start complaining about
the short lease time (and I wouldn't blame them...).

Now, did somebody have a problem like that? Are we tinkering at right
place (default lease time)? Any other ideas?

Thank you very much,

Marcos Roberto Greiner

|                     Marcos Roberto Greiner                        |
|         Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos       |
|         Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade          |
|                                                     Murphy        |
|                         rgreiner at usp dot br                           |