[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Must ping before connecting to share!
 Date:  Fri, 26 May 2006 19:55:32 -0700
Ok, here's an odd one... Not sure if its a M0n0wall problem or not (home
network: Cablemodem-> m0n0wall_1.22-> several_computers_on_lan)

One Windows XP machine often won't connect to shares on other machines
that are on the LAN.(connect network drive \\hostname\sharename) BUT if
I *ping* the IP of that machine (the PC with the share I'm trying to
connect to), and THEN connect to the share using the hostname, it works
every time!

So, I can always connect to the shares using the IP, and I can connect
using the netbios name IF I ping the server first. Anyone heard of this
before?