[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ayuda.. Portal Cautivo
 Date:  Sun, 28 May 2006 14:57:48 +0200
On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 02:33:34PM +0200, David Rando wrote:
> My 2 (euro) cents:
>
> This is turning an off-topic language discussion again. I don't see a

Sorry, I don't want this to degenerate into a tower of Babel.

> problem about reading a post in a different language than my nature one. If
> i don't understand it, i just skip it.

Sorry, "just skipping" doesn't work for the same reason "just skipping spam"
doesn't work.

> Here is a quote from the m0n0 website:
>
> " The official language of all m0n0wall mailing lists is English, but posts
> in other languages are welcome as well if you feel that you can't explain
> your question well enough in English."

I have no problems with bilingual posts, as long as the first part
is in English.

Languages are not that hard, and if you're unwilling to learn and use
the lingua franca of science and technology, whether it's Latin, French,
English, or whatever's next, perhaps you shouldn't be posting.

> The only problem i see is a question that maybe it's interesting to read and
> can happen to you, and you lose the solution and a possible problem you
> could deal in the future because of that. Maybe saying on the mailing list
> page that would be nice to add the english translation if you are going to
> post in a different language could be half a solution. As you can read,
> we're translating to english the replies, and the original message
> (sometimes ;-) )
>
> I'm spanish, but i'm very used to do that, so i don't mind at all.
>
> The problem on doing a mono-es, mono-gm. etc is losing information. For

The web archives are indexed and searchable.

> example, i'm not going to signup for the mono-gm, because i don't speak
> german, and i'll lose all the post from there, message that a german guy who
> also speak in english can post in both languages, and voila! another
> answered question that can be useful in the future.
> Or just reply in german. so I'll skip that message and continue with the
> others.

Again, I have no problem with bilingual posts, as long as the first
message part is in English.

> .If you're afraid to get your mailbox filled with post in a different
> language than english..... a forum is a solution. I really would like to

I speak several languages. I can usually decipher Spanish, but I usually
don't bother.