[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Ayuda.. Portal Cautivo
 Date:  Sun, 28 May 2006 09:06:26 -0500
David Rando wrote:
> I'm in the list for a couple of weeks so this is just a suggestion, the
> moderators should say what they want us to do.
It's been already mentioned that the moderators don't mind. It's just
that Eugen would appreciate it if you put your posts in English with a
translation at the end, not the other way around :-)

I *do* think his format sounds convenient; let me put it this way... If
you're going to ask a question in a forum where English is the most
likely language spoken by the person who will hypothetically respond to
your message, you will probably have a better chance of getting that
person's attention if:

1. You write a coherent subject line
2. You describe your message in detail, in English (so it's near the top
of the message)
3. If your English isn't *that* good, post a translation afterwards
4. Follow the usual rules (read faqs/manuals, google around, provide
logs, follow directions, report success as well as failure)

Some people say that you must learn English if you're going to be in any
technically-related field. Some people believe, as do I, that English
(along with proper communication skills in any language) must be learned
at a level high enough to allow you to write a coherent, intelligible
document. If you don't, you won't get your point across and, in some
cases, people won't take you seriously.

That said, English isn't my first language. To all of you reading this
who haven't dared to post because you think your language skills are too
poor: remember the fact that many people, English-speakers or not, have
very poor communication skills. Do whatever you can to perfect your
skills in your main language, and try to do the same for English. You'll
find that if you work hard enough you'll get to speak, write and
communicate more effectively in English than many native speakers.