[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
 To:  Jason Collins <jason at mammothcomputers dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Must ping before connecting to share!
 Date:  Sun, 28 May 2006 20:38:13 -0700
On 5/28/2006 5:57 PM, Jason Collins wrote:
> It sounds like a small environment (but not too sure from your details)
> so is there any reason you couldn't do \\IPADDRESS\sharename instead of
> hostname as a workaround?  To facilitate, maybe you could use static
> mappings in the mono dhcp server.  Just a thought....

Yes its a small home environment, but I'd like to get name resolution
working rather than using IPs or hosts files. Chris is correct in that
Windows name resolution is a real hassle, but my understanding was that
M0n0wall can help local name resolution to work better. Maybe that isn't
right.. please correct me.

I already use static dhcp lease mappings, so each machine always gets
the same IP.

I also made the following settings to make local name resolution work:

- M0n0: Enable the DNS forwarder and checkmark "Register DHCP leases in
DNS forwarder

- M0n0: Not sure but I think I should also checkmark "Allow DNS server
list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN"

- WindowsXP: I also enabled "Register this connection's addresses in DNS"