[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James Quinn, Jr" <jquinnjr at jasquinn dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Watchdog timeout problem
 Date:  Mon, 29 May 2006 19:56:10 -0400
I searched the archives but could not find anything really similar to
what I'm experiencing.  I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

I'm running monowall 1.2 (built on 09 October 2005) on an HP Pavilion
8565C.  It has been working fine for quite some time.  Recently I
changed from my ISP's home-based service to the much faster business
class service.  At the same time, I started getting "Watchdog Timeout"
errors.

The symptoms are very strange.  When the "Watchdog timeout" appears, I
lose all connections from INSIDE my network to the firewall-I can't even
ping it from inside.  A few minutes later, the connection re-establishes
and everything is fine again (until the next time.)  It took me quite a
while to connect the watchdog timeouts with the loss of connection.

Even more puzzling, the watchdog timeout errors appear to be related to
activity.  That is, I get this error when doing streaming video or
audio, or anything else which requires large amounts of bandwidth.

I recently made another interesting discovery.  If I hit "enter" on the
monowall console as soon as the "watchdog timeout" error appears, my
connection comes back right away.

Any suggestions?  How can I make this appealing feature go away???

Many thanks,

James Quinn