[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
 To:  Monowall Email List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Must ping before connecting to share!
 Date:  Mon, 29 May 2006 19:27:11 -0700
On 5/29/2006 12:40 AM, Lee Sharp wrote:
> From: "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
>
>> Yes its a small home environment, but I'd like to get name resolution
>> working rather than using IPs or hosts files. Chris is correct in that
>> Windows name resolution is a real hassle, but my understanding was
>> that M0n0wall can help local name resolution to work better. Maybe
>> that isn't right.. please correct me.
>
>> I already use static dhcp lease mappings, so each machine always gets
>> the same IP.
>
>> I also made the following settings to make local name resolution work:
>
>> - M0n0: Enable the DNS forwarder and checkmark "Register DHCP leases
>> in DNS forwarder
>
> For some reason, when you use static mappings, it no longer registers
> the leases in the DNS forwarder.  I would turn off the static leases.
> Also, make sure your domain names in all systems and m0n0wall match, and
> your default suffixes are the same.

YES! That was it. After removing the static mappings from M0n0wall the
names began resolving as they should!

Is this a bug? Seems like a bug to me.

Just as an aside, IPCop has a similar feature that works with static or
dynamic dhcp leases. Because I previously used IPCop I kept trying to
get this working without considering changing to dynamic leases.

Thanks again.

Lee