[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1 to 1 ip routing
 Date:  Mon, 29 May 2006 23:23:17 -0400
On 5/29/06, Josh Hyles <josh dot maillists at gmail dot com> wrote:

> and I'm not sure if one of those ports it considered OPT1 or not.

Yes.  On anything with 3 ports, you have LAN, WAN, and OPT1.

> Also, i'm wondering more how I would actually do this. Lets say the
> unit is at a colocation place and I have 1 cable. Lets say I order 2
> 1MB connections and i am given 2 subnet ranges I can use. Is it
> possible to route both subnet ranges like say... 63.123.123.121/29 and
> 63.123.123.128/29, so i'd have those two setups, could i route them
> both?

It depends on how they do that.  Of those subnet ranges, they would
probably take one of those IP's for their router that you'd use on
your systems for a default gateway.  If, instead, they give you a /30
for a router or firewall, you'd have to do things differently.  In
that case, you could use LAN for one of those routed subnets and OPT1
for the other.  You can't have two IP subnets per interface, but one
on LAN and one on OPT1 would work fine.  In a bridged setup, if they
take one IP per subnet for their router, you can have both IP subnets
on the same bridged OPT1 interface.

> Another setup could be that I just get more IPs for my current
> connection (1MB) and up it to 2MB. so that setup would be something
> like... 63.123.123.113/28 (I'm using a subnet calc for this, so if i'm
> doing it all wrong, just try and adjust the number in your head) how
> would I route just that one subset of ips through the monowall?

Depends.  If it's truly a routed subnet, you could add an OPT
interface and use the entire subnet on it.  You may be able to use
bridging depending on how it's assigned.  Could use 1:1 NAT if you
don't use any applications that are NAT unfriendly.

> I want 2 servers to be connected and I'm sure i'll need a small
> switch, but if i can find a WRAP with 2 OPT interfaces then great...
> but that would mean it has to have 4 ports.

I don't think any of these scenarios require 4 ports.  WRAP's only go
up to three ports, if you had to go higher than that, a Soekris 4801
with one of the 2 or 4 port PCI NIC's would be a good alternative.

-Chris