[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Must ping before connecting to share!
 Date:  Mon, 29 May 2006 00:15:32 -0400
On 5/28/06, Lee B. <leeb00 at gmail dot com> wrote:

> Yes its a small home environment, but I'd like to get name resolution
> working rather than using IPs or hosts files. Chris is correct in that
> Windows name resolution is a real hassle, but my understanding was that
> M0n0wall can help local name resolution to work better.

You don't have a network-wide name resolution problem if one machine
works and one doesn't, which, as I suggested earlier, points to some
sort of configuration issue on the machine that doesn't resolve
properly.  The Resource Kit page I linked to earlier goes through the
many possibilities.  Yes, it's a lot to go through, but it's not
exactly a simple process so that comes with the territory.

-Chris