[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Graham Allan <allan at physics dot umn dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Must ping before connecting to share!
 Date:  Tue, 30 May 2006 10:16:51 -0500
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:40:14AM -0500, Lee Sharp wrote:
> From: "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
>
> >Yes its a small home environment, but I'd like to get name resolution
> >working rather than using IPs or hosts files. Chris is correct in that
> >Windows name resolution is a real hassle, but my understanding was that
> >M0n0wall can help local name resolution to work better. Maybe that isn't
> >right.. please correct me.
>
> >I already use static dhcp lease mappings, so each machine always gets the
> >same IP.
>
> >I also made the following settings to make local name resolution work:
>
> >- M0n0: Enable the DNS forwarder and checkmark "Register DHCP leases in
> >DNS forwarder
>
> For some reason, when you use static mappings, it no longer registers the
> leases in the DNS forwarder.  I would turn off the static leases.  Also,
> make sure your domain names in all systems and m0n0wall match, and your
> default suffixes are the same.

m0n0wall lets you manually register local DNS entries (under "DNS
forwarder overrides"). It doesn't seem like this should be necessary
for static-DHCP mappings, but the DNS page in m0n0wall does say
"machines which specify their hostname when requesting DHCP will be
registered". That does imply some clients don't supply their hostname,
so wouldn't get registered (perhaps the DHCP server logs might give
something away). I certainly enter overrides for some of my client
machines to allow me to access them by name rather than IP. Maybe this
is an ok workaround for you as well?

Graham