[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Roberto Greiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com>
 To:  Bernie O'Connor <Bernie dot OConnor at sas dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Root beeing filled up by dhcp
 Date:  Tue, 30 May 2006 12:26:52 -0300
I have been working on that, but placed it on hold for now. As I said,
we reduced the lease times and wanted to see the results. For now, the
system seems to be stable (six days so far). We will wait somewhat
longer. If that fails, I will probably implement the suggested option of
a dedicated DHCP server.

I've read the guide about making the custom image, but since version
4.11 is somewhat outdated, it gives some problems with
installation/upgrade. Since I'm a Linux admin with no BSD knowledge,
this is somewhat troublesome (I've installed the 4.11 version in a
machine and ran the all the update process, but I'm still don't feel
comfortable enough to build a system image on this build I've made.
Maybe later and if M0n0wall keeps having trouble with DHCP) .

Anyway,

Thanks a lot,

Roberto

Bernie O'Connor wrote:
> Since you're running from an HD, you can consider tweaking the root image size.  I would suggest
that you dedicate a machine running freebsd4.11 that you can use to generate your own images.  Use
the scratch guide as a starting point: http://doc.m0n0.ch/dev/image-guide.html#id2544848 . Once you
get FreeBSD 4.11 running, then use the m0n0-utils materials to help you tweak your image:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~fredmol/m0n0/ .  The m0n0-inst-modules command has the -m switch which lets
you set the root file system size.  That's what you would increase; however, be aware that the stock
system limits a new image firmware load size to 8MB AND since you're running the image in memory,
you need to make sure you have enough main memory to hold everything.

> bernie

files named dhcpd.leases{long number} in /var/db. Each of those files is small, but they quickly
fill up the small space of the root system.

> We have tried tinkering a little with the default leases times, but going down to 24 hours didn't
solve. As of now, we have it at 2 hours (the default value), and the system seems stable (but we did
this change only 48 hours ago).

> The main function of the machine as of now is to serve as our gateway/DHCP/autentication server
for our campus 802.11 structure.Our machine is serving an average number of 200 to 300 users,
Captive portal enabled with the users database in a Radius server, DHCP, no PPTP nor IPSec. The
server is installed in an HD, and the version of m0n0wall is updated to the current one. The machine
gets an average CPU load of 5-15%, with 11% of used memory, and the WAN interface gets an average
INPUT and OUTPUT load of 5Mbps each , with peaks reaching 10Mbps.

> Every time the server started generating those files, no message appeared in the logs, only later
when root was filled up, the logs started showing messages about root being filled. So far, we have
managed to "fix" it by restarting DHCPd and then deleting the extraneous files with rm command
through the "exec.php" page. But a couple of days later it happens again.

> Now we are worried that our users will probably start complaining about the short lease time (and
I wouldn't blame them...).

> Now, did somebody have a problem like that? Are we tinkering at right place (default lease time)?
Any other ideas?