[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Gerard Lally" <abalta at iol dot ie>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  is my firewall working
 Date:  Tue, 30 May 2006 19:50:42 +0100
Connection:  Satellite broadband with static IP address
Firewall: m0n0wall, with mostly default settings
Clients:  Windows XP Pro
Crossover cable from satellite modem to external NIC on m0n0wall, and
ordinary patch cable from internal NIC on m0n0wall to 16-port switch.
m0n0wall as DHCP server to LAN
Internet working properly.

Hello
I have just migrated from Smoothwall Express to m0n0wall and I have an
urgent question for you.  The firewall is up and running over an hour now
but until a few minutes ago there were no entries in the firewall log, as
though it was blocking nothing.  I have Kerio as a software firewall on my
Windows XP client and it was blocking traffic from the outside for nearly an
hour!  And just now I see five entries in my firewall log on m0n0wall yet I
have changed nothing!  Should this be happening?  It's as though the
firewall took an hour to wake up, and but for the fact I had Kerio running
as well I would have been left totally exposed.
Smoothwall seemed to record frequent attacks.  Is it just that m0n0wall
doesn't log all types of attack, or am I missing something altogether?
Any help much appreciated.
Thank you,
Gerard.