[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Must ping before connecting to share!
 Date:  Tue, 30 May 2006 17:26:28 -0700
On 5/30/2006 8:16 AM, Graham Allan wrote:
> On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:40:14AM -0500, Lee Sharp wrote:
>> For some reason, when you use static mappings, it no longer registers the
>> leases in the DNS forwarder.  I would turn off the static leases.  Also,
>> make sure your domain names in all systems and m0n0wall match, and your
>> default suffixes are the same.
>

> m0n0wall lets you manually register local DNS entries (under "DNS
> forwarder overrides"). It doesn't seem like this should be necessary
> for static-DHCP mappings, but the DNS page in m0n0wall does say
> "machines which specify their hostname when requesting DHCP will be
> registered". That does imply some clients don't supply their hostname,
> so wouldn't get registered (perhaps the DHCP server logs might give
> something away). I certainly enter overrides for some of my client
> machines to allow me to access them by name rather than IP. Maybe this
> is an ok workaround for you as well?

Thanks Graham, My various machines could successfully resolve other
local hosts after I removed their static mappings, but there is one
machine I needed to leave statically mapped.

I didn't realize how the DNS forwarding override worked, but after
adding that server to the override list it can now be resolved from the
other clients. Thanks again!