[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware
 Date:  Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:44:32 -0500
From: "Charlie Barker" <CharlieBarker at RedlineSoftware dot co dot uk>

> I'm sure this will have been asked before but is there a cheaper hardware
> option than a Net45xx?

> I'm only looking for two eth ports, it will be for home use so not a lot
> of
> horse power required.

First, don't threadjack.  Stat a new thread, not a reply to an old one.  You
get more response.

What you need is a Pentium 200 or better, at least 64meg of ram, with 128
prefered, and 16mb cf with 32mb cf for growth.  Check the last link for the

Now, my first response was this. http://www.directron.com/usedpc.html
However, the size is right out.

Next would be a used small form factor PC.  For example,
With the Compaqs, you will need the NoF1.exe to run headless.  I have used
about 20 of the Dell GX200s and GX110s, and less trouble than with new

On the subject of new...
Very small (appliance like) Case    $67.99
Single ethernet 800mhz board        $108.00
Cheap D-Link NIC                        $4.99
Psudo Hard drive   32mb                 $18.60