[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Nico de Haer" <nico dot dehaer at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DNS forwarder setup for two m0n0wall boxes connected by IPsec
 Date:  Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:16:30 +0200
Hi all,

I'm having some dificulties with DNS in my setup. All other aspects are
working just fine.

My setup is the following:

First box is a m0n0wall v 1.22 called helios.whatever.lan and it is the boss
of my lan 192.168.6.0 / 255.255.255.0 (oh, it's ip is 192.168.6.1) It is
connected to the internet using a cable modem (ok, the relevant bits of
that: red interface gets an internet IP address via DHCP)

Second box is the same as above except that it is named
helios.mol-erica.lanand it is the boss of
192.168.5.0 / 255.255.255.0 network (yes, it's ip address is 192.168.5.1)

Both boxes are conected using an IPSec tunnel. Both boxes do DHCP on their
respective networks and are also configured as DNS forwarders. All things
that you expect to work at this point work ok. you can ping from one network
to the other and name resolving is also ok (that is, yur local domain and
internet dns)

I'm too lazy to remember IP addresses so I tried to configure DNS so that it
can also resolve names of the domain on the other side of the IPSec tunnel.
I have added a line to the "Below you can override an entire domain by
specifying an authoritative DNS server to be queried for that domain." part
of the "Services: DNS forwarder" page. The line reads: "mol-erica.lan |
192.168.5.1 | helios at mol dash erica dot lan" Same type of entry also made on the
second box. End result: It does not work as I have hoped - Some help would
be greatly appreciated!

From my (WinXP) laptop I do nslookup and try to resolve helios. This works
(it finds helios.whatever.lan). Next I try to resolve
helios.mol-erica.lanand it fails (nice DNS timeout). If I change the
DNS server by issuing
"server 192.168.5.1" I can resolve all hosts on the other network ok.

I would like to do "ping helios.whatever.lan" and "ping helios.mol-erica.lan"
on both networks and on top of that, get answers instead of errors!

Thanks in advance,

Nico de Haer