[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christian H Borrman" <chb at orange dot net>
 To:  "Brandon" <bstone108 at comcast dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheap Hardware
 Date:  Sun, 4 Jun 2006 11:33:33 +0100
I like the idea of recycling these old devices, but they have a few
problems:

1) ugly as sin
2) noisy as hell
3) guzzle power like the devil
4) are old and have too many points of failure for my liking

Essentially you end up with the processing power of a wrap/soekris, with
better expandability, but using usually 100-200w of power against 5-10w and
making a lot of noise, taking up space looking like you are running an
internet cafe in Somalia rather than having an intelligent, secure home
network.

A quick calculation, at UK electricity prices, a 100-200w device on 24/7
works out at more than the $200 for a complete wrap with at least the same
processing power on paper.

having said that, the soekris and wrap are clearly underpowered, with less
than 20mb throughput (soekris) on ethernet ports, UK DSL downspeed is now
faster than the soekris can deal with, and slower than the supposedly "slow"
wireless cards since 3-4 years ago, and can now only work properly on a
build of FreeBSD that is as old as the board design.

We need to move onto 1ghz + machines, still passively, but intelligently
cooled (even top of range Soekris has no CPU heatsink and the box has not
even given the first thought to cooling/airflow). I suspect, looking at the
price/performance advance of the IT/telecoms space in general (for example,
the 128mb of memory on board these devices has fallen 10+ fold since I have
been buying these devices but the boards still cost the same, of may have
even gone up) I suspect that there are quite nice margins on these small
embedded devices, which have not dropped in price nor improved performance
in line with the market or even the software running on them.

Christian