[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tarun Kundhi" <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  network interface problems on new server
 Date:  Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:10:42 -0500
We are trying to get a new monowall server configured and I'm running into
major challenges. I attempted to verify the hardware specs before purchase
through the documentation and via this list but I'm concerned I may have
overlooked something. In a nutshell I can't get the network interfaces
recognized and working.

Objective to have monowall with 6 interfaces.

Hardware details:
Supermicro PDSMi motherboard
Pentium D 920 (dual core 2.8 GHz)
Dual 10/100/1000 NICs (Intel 82573V)
PCI-X card: Intel PRO 1000 MT Quad port adaptor (uses 2 82546EB controllers)
512 MB RAM (2 - 256MB modules)
1 GB IDE flash module

Monowall version: generic-pc-1.22

Problem specifics:
On initial boot monowall reports 2 interfaces and assigns them as sis0-> LAN
and sis1-> WAN. But neither of these interfaces work. If I select option 1
to assign interfaces I am then presented with a list of 4 other interfaces:
em0, em1, em2, em3. I've tried assigning these interfaces as follows:

em0-> WAN
em1-> LAN
em2 -> OPT1
em3 -> OPT2

Note, I could not use the autodetect option. It would fail. Auto detect
would only recognize em1 and em0. I entered the values for em2 and em3
manually. Manually configuring the interfaces gets WAN and LAN functional
but the other interfaces (OPT1 & OPT2) are reported as down in the webGUI.

Fixes attempted:
Re-downloaded 1.22 and re-wrote IDE flash module
Disabled USB & SATA in BIOS
Set large disk support to 'Other' as BIOS suggested for UNIX type systems.
There doesn't appear to be a BIOS setting to turn off Plug n Play. Also I
didn't find anything that relates to designating the OS in the BIOS.  I've
contacted the hardware vendor and asked them if there are hidden settings to
disable PnP. I've also asked them about FreeBSD 4.x compatibility. The tech
didn't think there were any FreeBSD compatibility issues. But he is
researching these two issues for me.

Has anyone successfully used a PDSMi motherboard with monowall? Any
suggestions on how to further troubleshoot? I've used monowall on other pc
systems and net45xx devices without issue. Setup and configuration have
always gone somoothly until this time. Comments are recommendations are
appreciated.

Thanks,

Tarun