[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Internal NTP server problem
 Date:  Thu, 8 Jun 2006 22:56:33 +0100

In message <4488997B dot 9070404 at krehel dot com>, tonemmaps at krehel dot com writes
>dave morgan wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:56:34 -0500, tonemmaps at krehel dot com wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get m0n0wall to use my internal NTP server but my
>>>attempts and searching the mailing list have left me with no clues.
>>>Is it something that could be fixed by modifying a default firewall
>>>rule or some option for the NTP client?
>>> Chris
>> Mine works ok, I have -
>> Wan NAT rule
>> WAN           UDP     123     <ntp_server_ip>        123
>> Wan firewall rule
>>  UDP          *       *       <ntp_server_ip>        123
>> DMZ firewall rule
>>  UDP          *       123     *                      *
>> (my ntp server sits in my DMZ, and serves time to the NTP Pool)
>> You may not need the first two WAN rules
>> try the DMZ rule on the interface your NTP server is on
>> I have my NTP server listed by IP address, not hostname in the
>> configuration box on the bottom of the system.php page
>> HTH
>> Dave
>I think I need to clarify a little more, not trying to NAT the NTP, I
>just want m0n0wall to use the NTP server IP on my LAN segment.  There
>seems to be an issue with m0n0 talking to a LAN IP address for NTP.

I had problems with this a while ago - I can't remember exactly what
traffic was going on but I was seeing traffic every second on the WAN
interface, even though I'd specified the IP address of the LAN NTP
server.  I then reverted to specifying my ISP's timeserver by FQDN and
haven't bothered trying it again.