[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Setting up a VLAN
 Date:  Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:56:18 +0100
Hi,

In message <015401c68ca4$39cbcaa0$640a0a0a@tower>, Jeff Prater
<jeff at thoughtreactor dot com> writes
>Hi. I have just stared using m0n0wall and am loving it! Props to the
>developers!
>
>I do have a question concerning VLANs. I only have two network faces, on WAN
>and one LAN
>
>LAN IP: 192.168.0.1/24
>
>I want to make a VLAN: 192.168.1.1/24 for a new client moving into our
>building.
>

>Is this possible with m0n0wall? Do I need any additional hardware or would I
>be better off purchasing another nic and making a new LAN that way? I am new
>to VLANs and I'm also kind of strapped for funds right now and I would like
>to do this as easy as possible. Thanks for any help!

You will need a NIC that either supports VLAN tagging or oversize
packets.  Check the manual for a list of these.

Then you will need a VLAN capable switch (I have a 3com 3300 that I

Or it would be cheaper to just put a decent NIC in the machine.  It
depends if you're likely to need to add any more interfaces in the
future.

Also bear in mind that you don't appear to be able to do any form of
bridging with VLANs.

HTH,

                                Neil.