[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Setting up a VLAN
 Date:  Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:58:18 -0400
On 6/10/06, Jeff Prater <jeff at thoughtreactor dot com> wrote:
> So, if I were to purchase an additional NIC and assign it OPT1, would I be
> able to put it on a different network segment, like the 192.168.1.1/24 I
> wanted to accomplish with the VLAN? Would this have to be a special NIC, or
> just an ordinary Linksys NIC?

You can use any old NIC for an OPT interface.  VLAN's require managed
switches that support 802.1Q trunking, if you don't have managed
switches it's probably cheaper to put in the OPT interface.  Though
managed switches are very nice to have, and don't cost *that* much.
For smaller offices where cost is a major concern, I like to go with
HP 2400M or 2424M, you can pick those up for about $125 USD shipped on
ebay.

-Chris