[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  Sea <seaeric at gmail dot com>, "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:10:38 -0500
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:57:16 -0700
  Sea <seaeric at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I haven't deployed a monowall yet, but I need a very reliable
>firewall for
> my network so the only time it should be rebooted is if I need to
>move the
> power cable! I haven't followed this thread, but how prevalant is
>the freeze
> and lockup issue?

In all of my 30+ implementations I have had about 7 installation
issues.  I have only had 4 problems with existing installations.  All
were hardware problems.  2 were memory, and 2 were a power supply.
 Good hardware makes a big difference.  A good used business class
machine (I have a bunch of Dell GX200 SFF machines) will do better
than a new budget box.  In the past I have recommended some $40 SFF
cases.  I would no longer do so, because the power supplies are just
poor.  (2 that went bad, and 1 that was bad at the beginning, out of
about 10)  And my machines only reboot for firmware upgrades.

                           Lee