[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Version 1.22 freeze
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:22:37 -0600
>> I haven't deployed a monowall yet, but I need a very reliable firewall
>> for
>> my network so the only time it should be rebooted is if I need to move
>> the
>> power cable! I haven't followed this thread, but how prevalant is the
>> freeze
>> and lockup issue?
>
> In all of my 30+ implementations I have had about 7 installation issues.
> I have only had 4 problems with existing installations.  All were hardware
> problems.  2 were memory, and 2 were a power supply. Good hardware makes a
> big difference.  A good used business class machine (I have a bunch of
> Dell GX200 SFF machines) will do better than a new budget box.  In the
> past I have recommended some $40 SFF cases.  I would no longer do so,
> because the power supplies are just poor.  (2 that went bad, and 1 that
> was bad at the beginning, out of about 10)  And my machines only reboot
> for firmware upgrades.

I am with Lee here.  Although I have experienced the lockups I still
recommend m0n0wall as much as I can.  I believe those of us that have seen
this issue have very unique cases.  Either hardware issues or some
configuration that caused an issue when upgrading.  Like I said, I have
tried different hardware platforms and the only thing that has stayed the
same is my config file.  Three out of 4 units run great with 90+ days
uptime.  It's only this one configuration, which I am rebuilding from
scratch on a 1.22 machine as we speak...

Aaron