[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kimmo Jaskari" <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to install m0n0 on a harddrive
 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:31:36 +0300
Why not use an IDE-Flash module instead of a cf card and reader? That
should eliminate the whole reader part - just get a module, push it
into the IDE connector on the motherboard and you're good to go.
Something like this:

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=26&LangNo=0

Harddrives have moving parts, generate heat, are noisy and break down
continuously, and unlike flash memory continuously accumulate wear
when they spin in the firewall - doing nothing 99,9% of the time in a
m0n0wall. They will eventually break - and you may not even notice if
you don't make config changes, until the m0n0wall needs to be rebooted
six months later and then you're stuck with a totally dead firewall,
probably at a distant location.

Hard drives are archaic crap technology we're stuck with because it's
the cheapest way to get lots of storage space... why use it in a
m0n0wall where you don't need the one benefit they have, ie cheap
storage space?

On 6/12/06, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:55:50 +0000
>   "Soren Vanggaard Jensen" <svanggaard at hotmail dot com> wrote:
>
> > I'm having problems with a freezing v 1.22 monowall. I'm using a
> >sandisk 32 MB CF card. Could these problems be related? I've never
> >seen problems when reconfiguring the unit, but doesn't mono write to
> >CF on other occasions? For Example - will monowall write to CF upon
> >offering DHCP leases?
>
> The only time m0n0wall writes to the storage media is config changes,
> or firmware upgrades.  All other times it runs fully in memory.  The
> filesystem is not even mounted rw unless you are saving a config, or
> upgrading firmware.  The "upload a file" on the exec.php page only
> uploads to the ram disk.
>
>                            Lee

-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com }--

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
  - Robert Heinlein